Who must file the marriage return?
The officiate performing the marriage ceremony must file the Marriage Return with the Marriage License Bureau that issued the license, within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. A marriage record will not exist if the officiate who performs the marriage fails to file this document. Upon request, the Marriage License Bureau will inform the couples whether their marriage return has been filed and recorded. For more details, please contact the Marriage License Bureau at 610-278-3414.

Show All Answers

1. What about prior marriages?
2. Who must file the marriage return?
3. How do I request a duplicate marriage license?
4. We are getting married on an island or in another state. Where do we get our marriage license?
5. Can I register my marriage in Pennsylvania if it takes place in another country or state?
6. Is there a central registry of marriage in Pennsylvania?
7. I live in Montgomery County but my marriage is taking place in another county in Pennsylvania. Where can I get my marriage license?
8. Do I need a licensed minister or priest to perform my marriage ceremony?
9. How do I get a self-uniting license?
10. Does Pennsylvania recognize common-law marriages?
11. At what age is a person no longer a minor in Pennsylvania?
12. Why do you need my social security number (SSN) to apply for a marriage license?
13. What if I have a SSN but refuse to provide it?
14. What happens if I do not have a social security number (SSN)?
15. Marriage applications are public record. I do not want my SSN given out to the public.