What about prior marriages?
Marriage license applicants who have been previously married and divorced must have a form of photo ID and must furnish a certified copy of the Decree of Divorce dissolving the marriage. If your name has been changed back to your maiden name, we must see the copy of the decree stating that you have retaken your surname. Certified copies of divorce decrees may be obtained by contacting the Prothonotary Office of the county in which the decree was granted. A widow or widower must provide documentation to show proof of the date of death of their former spouse (ex. Obituary, Death Certificate, etc.) Foreign divorce decrees must be translated by an official translator on their official letterhead. A certified copy of the decree is needed if the bride resumed her maiden name. For more details, please contact the Marriage License Bureau at 610-278-3414.

Show All Answers

1. What about prior marriages?
2. Who must file the marriage return?
3. How do I request a duplicate marriage license?
4. We are getting married on an island or in another state. Where do we get our marriage license?
5. Can I register my marriage in Pennsylvania if it takes place in another country or state?
6. Is there a central registry of marriage in Pennsylvania?
7. I live in Montgomery County but my marriage is taking place in another county in Pennsylvania. Where can I get my marriage license?
8. Do I need a licensed minister or priest to perform my marriage ceremony?
9. How do I get a self-uniting license?
10. Does Pennsylvania recognize common-law marriages?
11. At what age is a person no longer a minor in Pennsylvania?
12. Why do you need my social security number (SSN) to apply for a marriage license?
13. What if I have a SSN but refuse to provide it?
14. What happens if I do not have a social security number (SSN)?
15. Marriage applications are public record. I do not want my SSN given out to the public.