Who may represent a property owner?
A property owner must either represent himself or hire an attorney to represent him at the hearing. An exception to this rule applies to those who are physically unable to be present at the hearing. We will make every effort to accommodate the special needs of any property owner who wants to appeal their assessment. If the owner is unable to appear because of illness, infirmity, advanced age, or disability, we may be able to schedule a phone appeal or the owner may have a neighbor or relative appear on their behalf. However, an original power of attorney notarized by the property owner must be presented to the Board at the time of the hearing. Tax Representatives, Realtors and Financial Advisors will not be permitted to act as legal representatives of the aggrieved party. Anyone may appear as a witness regarding the value of the subject property but must be accompanied by the property owner or the owner’s attorney.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I lookup information on my property and surrounding properties?
2. What is a property assessment?
3. Who actually sets my assessment?
4. What is the County Board of Assessment Appeals?
5. What is meant by "uniform" assessment rate?
6. What is "Market Value"?
7. If I recently bought my property, is this purchase price considered?
8. What is the difference between an assessment and taxes?
9. How do I appeal my assessment?
10. What happens after I file an assessment appeal?
11. What happens at the assessment appeal hearing?
12. What is good evidence to convince the Board to reconsider a new value of my home?
13. Who may represent a property owner?
14. Are there special rules for corporations or an LLC etc.?
15. What happens if I am unable to attend my scheduled hearing date?
16. What happens if I decide not to go through with the appeal?
17. What happens after the assessment appeal hearing?
18. What happens if I don't agree with the Board's decision?
19. Are there programs available for those who have hardship cases?
20. Whom do I contact if I need information regarding tax information, tax rates and tax dollars?