2023 EMS Strategic Plan
Over the next several months, with the help of numerous stakeholders and a contracted vendor, the Department of Public Safety will be taking an in-depth look at the Emergency Medical Services System (EMSS) in Montgomery County. The goal of the study is to provide an updated plan and recommendations to guide the EMSS well into the future.
While dedicated EMS providers continue to serve the communities of Montgomery County every day, continuous strains on the EMSS for years have worn down even the most passionate clinicians and administrators. Many EMS agencies across the county, state, and country are struggling and some are in or nearing a crisis point. Unfortunately, some squads have ceased operations or merged with others because of severe fiscal and workforce shortages. Agencies across the board are experiencing steep increases in calls for service and operational costs, while at the same time seeing major declines in personnel and reimbursement revenue.
The study, planning, and recommendations will cover four key areas:
- Readiness of EMSS to handle emerging threats.
- Analyzing costs of doing business and a sustainable funding model to include operating and capital costs.
- Evaluating the current EMS delivery model to ensure the efficiency of service delivery of critical calls to timely quality clinical care.
- Examining the workforce's current and future needs including training.
In the coming weeks and months, the vendor will be conducting stakeholder surveys and discussions both virtually and in person to assess the needs and expectations of the EMSS in communities across Montgomery County. If you're interested in staying informed and getting involved with the project, please "opt-in" with your contact information using this form: https://forms.office.com/r/jgwhdDjYMR
To submit a public comment or provide feedback during the planning process, please utilize this form: Public Comment and Feedback Form
The Department of Public Safety does NOT guarantee an acknowledgment of receipt or response to any particular inquiry. In addition, this form is not for formal complaints against an EMS agency or EMS provider. File a complaint here.
- Kickoff Meeting Recording (11/15/23 - evening session): https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/5J7wMMixO8kgKiL38XGzpUj_kl46o3O3lpmOa_MeVeXoIuXdn6R5P2ZgL0jbLFYk.05pb9n5GmorVj8Nr?startTime=1700092806000
- 2008 MCATO EMS Presentation