Montgomery County Employee Benefits
Our employees are our most important assets. With that in mind, we take pride in offering an affordable, quality benefits package that helps to protect and support our employees and their families.
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage
Keeping our employees and their families healthy is essential to us. Our healthcare benefits include:
- Medical: choice of three Independence Blue Cross HMO plans, each of which includes prescription drug and vision coverage as well as MDLIVE Telemedicine and Tele-behavioral health services
- Dental: choice of two plans from Aetna, a PPO and DMO
- Employer-paid life, accidental death & dismemberment, and long-term disability insurance (all at no cost to the employee)
- Supplemental employee, spouse, and dependent life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability, accident, critical illness, and hospital indemnity insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Pension & Retirement Savings
We want to ensure our employees are financially secure even after they retire, so we offer both a pension and an optional 457B retirement plan for our employees.
- All full-time employees participate in the County pension plan as members immediately upon hire. Employees are required to contribute 5% of their salary into the plan and may voluntarily elect to contribute up to 10% more (maximum of 15%). The County also makes a contribution to the employee’s account which is determined by an outside Actuary. The County is obligated to contribute sufficient funds to assure the payment of all pension benefits; therefore, all benefits are guaranteed by the County.
- Montgomery County offers employees an optional 457B Deferred Compensation Plan. This includes a diverse selection of investment options, a stable-value investment option, and Roth IRA contributions.
Employee Tuition & Higher Education Benefits
To help our employees grow and develop, both personally and professionally, we’ll cover 75% of an employee’s approved tuition costs, fees, books, and equipment up to an annual maximum of $5,250. Employees must be full-time and complete a minimum of one year of continuous service to be eligible.
MCCC Two for One Tuition Program
Employees of Montgomery County and their spouses, domestic partners and dependents (up to 26 years of age) are eligible for a two-for-one tuition program at Montgomery County Community College. For every course paid in full, both in-class or online, student will receive a tuition waiver for 1 additional course of equal or lesser credit value for that semester.
Generous Annual Leave & Vacation
Our employees work hard serving the citizens of Montgomery County! We know that they need time to rest and do the things that are important to them outside of the office. Every year, County employees are entitled to:
- 10 days of vacation, increasing to:
- 15 days after 5 years of service
- 20 days after 13 years of service
- 25 days after 19 years of service
- 5 days of personal time
- 12 days of sick leave
- 11 paid County holidays
- Additional leave is provided for bereavement, military leave, jury duty, and other circumstances outlined in the employee handbook.
Note: During an employee’s first year of employment time off is pro-rated based on date of hire.
Paid Parental Leave
We pride ourselves in supporting our employees who become parents! Our employees are entitled to 6 weeks of paid parental leave following the birth, adoption, foster care placement, or legal guardianship of a child, time which is not charged against the employee’s accrued time off. Employees then have the option to extend their leave by an additional 6 weeks (12 weeks total) under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) by using accrued sick, personal, compensatory, and/or vacation time; by taking an unpaid leave of absence; or some combination of both.
Health & Wellness Support
County benefits also include access to variety of programs, workshops, and resources to support our employees’ physical, mental, and behavioral wellbeing. These include the HealthAdvocate Lifeline, featuring Employee Advocacy support and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), discounts and reimbursements for fitness, weight management, and tobacco cessation programs, and more! Fitness discounts are available for employees and their dependents who are enrolled in the Independence Blue Cross medical plan for a variety of gym memberships which includes a $150 gym reimbursement through the wellness benefits.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Montgomery County is also a qualifying employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program, which forgives the remaining balance on certain federal student loans after a borrower has made 120 monthly payments while working for a government agency or non-profit organization. To learn more about this program, visit https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
We know our employees have demands outside of the workplace. Some positions with Montgomery County are remote-work eligible, allowing for greater flexibility and work-life balance. All remote-work eligible jobs are listed on the main careers page at https://www.montcopa.org/Jobs, remote eligibility will be indicated in the job description.
Eligibility for Benefits
Our full-time employees, their legal spouse/same sex registered domestic partner, and dependent children up to age 26 are eligible for County benefits. Note that eligibility for some benefits begins on the first day of the month the date of hire (e.g., health insurance), while for others at least a year of service is required (e.g., tuition reimbursement).
Note: This page is for reference only and should not be construed to guarantee eligibility for benefits. All final determinations on eligibility are made by the Montgomery County Human Resources Department or Chief Operating Officer.