How to Apply for a Passport

Required for Obtaining a Passport

If applying for a passport in our office, the following items are required: 

  • Birth Certificate - To obtain the proper Birth Certificate, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health and follow the link to Birth and Death Certificates.
  • Emergency Passport - You must be traveling within 14 days and you have to make an appointment at the Philadelphia Passport Agency 877- 487-2778. There is a $60 expediting fee for this execution. You will need proof of departure date (such as airline tickets, itinerary or letter from your employer if it is a business trip).
  • Fees - see the fee schedule
  • Forms - All children must appear in person. For children 15 years of age and under, both parents must appear in person and apply for the child. If you are a parent who has full custody, you must submit a certified copy of the custody order. Any minor must have a long form birth certificate. A marriage license is required for mother if remarried with a different last name. A consent form (DS-3053) must be filled out for each passport when only one parent is present. It must be notarized. You will also need a copy of the absent parent's ID with the DS-3053. You will need social security numbers. Whether form DS-353 is used, or the same information is provided on another paper, effective November 1, 2004 the Statement of Consent by non-applying parents, for children 15 years of age and under, must be notarized. The purpose is to prevent forgery and ensure that the person signing the statement has been properly identified. This will further reduce the possibility of a US passport being used to interfere with the custodial rights of non-applying parents.
  • Passport in a Different Name - You must bring proof of name change that is, Marriage License, Court Order for name change, Praecipe to retake prior surname. This refers to your last name.
  • Photographs - One recent, professional, identical, 2" X 2", color photographs with a light background. (School photos are not acceptable).
  • Processing - Passport and proof of citizenship will be mailed to your home within 4-6 weeks. Expedited Passport time depends on how you arrange for delivery to and from the U.S. Passport Office.
  • Proof of Identity - Over the age of 16 years, a state issued photo ID (with signature) or a valid driver's license. Children 15 years of age and under, School ID or a Parent with a valid driver's license.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship - Certified Birth Certificate (must have the full names of both parents) from the state where you were born, (Birth Notification, Birth Registration or Hospital Certificates are not acceptable) or a previous U.S. Passport or your Naturalization Certificate. Children 15 and under submitting an expired Passport or certificate of citizenship as their citizenship document also must submit a long form birth certificate providing child's name, date and place of birth, and the names of the parents.
  • Renewals - If your most recent Passport was issued within the past 15 years and after your 16th birthday, you may renew by mail (DS-82). The instructions are on the back of the form. You will need two recent, professional, identical, 2" X 2", color photographs with a light background. (School photos are not acceptable)). The fee for routine service is $110 (check only).

You will receive your passport in the mail within four to six weeks.

Additional Information

For further information, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. There is no charge for this call.